Sunday, July 12, 2020

Making a Steampunk Great Horned Owl With Polymer Clay



Super Sculpey Original



Hello fellow artists!

I did not realize how long it has been since I last logged in and posted a new article. It's been a very, very long time. I apologize.

This is going to be a short, sweet article. A lot has happened in the past few years, what with moving again and all. I once again have my own studio, which is very sweet. It's not completely unpacked yet, but it's getting there. Since my photos are on my phone, I'll have to post some photos of it at a later date.

For now, I am working on several projects at the same time. One of them is a clay project of a steampunk owl (great horned owl). I've played around sort of with clay but not really done anything of substance with it, so this will be an adventure! It's small and will require painting it as well. I will receive my package of a couple of supplies that I need to get started in a couple of days, and then I will try to update some WIPs of the project. Since I am still working full time, I have little time to actually do much art, but I am trying to commit myself to doing more projects, and to complete some that I started but have not yet finished. I hope to resurrect this art blog and get arting once again!

So, if you would like to try this steampunk owl with me, here's some of the supplies that I will be using. Of course, you may substitute them for others that you may have on hand if you prefer:

Super Sculpey Original - This is a beige colored clay and semi-translucent. It comes in 1-lb size only. (Do not get this confused with Original Sculpey clay, which is white and much softer).

Sculpey Bake & Bond
Sculpey Clay Softener
Sculpey Glow in The Dark clay
Premo black clay
Premo white clay
Aluminum foil
A pin tool
A toothpick 
A small paintbrush 
Two 16mm round crystal clear Cabochons with flat back glass dome
Acrylic paint

You may purchase these items from these places:
Dick Blick Art Store
Polymer Clay Super Store

And you can purchase the cabochons here
Crystal Clear Round Cabochons - 16mm (Amazon)

Since I am so new at working with polymer clay, I will be following Ace of Clay's Tutorial, and I will be adding a little bit of my own twist to this owl.

                              ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

And now, here is something I learned:

Some owls, Great Horned Owls being one of them, have these things called "Plumicorns." What are plumicorns you ask? Well, I'm glad you asked. Here is some info I got from another blogger site called "Plumicorns":

               "Plumicorns are the feather tufts some owls have on their heads. 
               They’re used for communication and camouflage. I’m pretty sure 
               the word is phonetically rendered like this: /plu mɪ kɔɹnz/. Or, just 
               shove the words “plume” and “corns” together with a short i in the 
               middle. The word has Latin origins and just means “feather-horns.”
               Which is exactly what plumicorns are. They look sort of like horns,  
               but they’re just feathers."

Plumicorns are a part of what we will be making in this owl project, so get your supplies together and join me in making a Steampunk Great Horned Owl in polymer clay! 




And as always ..............................


                                                       ......................  Keep on arting!!! 





                                  Bake & Bond      Clay Softener


No comments:

Post a Comment